Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Birthday weekend down south. (Rob's birthday, not mine)

I flew down to Southern California the weekend of February 11th. I flew in Thursday night. My friend Rob was turning…ahem…well, let’s just say he was having one of those “landmark” birthdays. I made arrangements to stay at the Disneyland Hotel.  A lot of really cool things came of that.




For starters, they have redone the hotel. The three towers are now called Adventure, Fantasy, and Frontier. (The towers used to have different names). They've also redone the pool area.


The really cool part is that Rob is a huge fan of Western themes—music, furnishings, artwork—you name it. So I was thrilled to see that my room was located in the Frontier tower. They’ve redone the lobby area in each tower, so this tower had cowhide-backed chairs and artwork depicting Frontierland, including a large diorama of Thunder Mountain Railroad.


When I walked into the room, everything had been refurbished. The bathroom now has granite sinks, the artwork on the walls is new, and there is a new headboard that lights up and plays “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes” when you first turn it on. The pattern is of Sleeping Beauty’s Castle with fireworks and stars. It twinkles too. Yep, I’m a sucker for Disney magic and they have made the hotel into a really cool experience with the re-furb. Sorry, I forgot to get a picture of the headboard. oops. :-/



I went out to Carolyn’s on Friday. (Hey, I was within 60 miles. It had to be done.) I stopped by the JCP outlet on the way back and found a bunch of shoes on sale. (I bought 3 new pairs and when I went to Wal-Mart to buy an extra bag to bring them back home in, I found yet another pair. I should be set on shoes for a while). I got back to the hotel in the afternoon. I met my friends at the new outdoor firepit next to the new bar called Trader Sam’s in the center area of the hotel.


Following that, we went to PF Chang’s at the Garden Walk, followed by the movie The Artist. Uggie is my new hero. Just sayin’.
Uggie

Got up Saturday morning to a surprise visit from our friend Ethan! I rode into the park on the Monorail with the gang and then rode back to the hotel. I left there and drove out to my brother’s house. It was also his birthday weekend and they were having lunch at his house. So I made a surprise visit. My mom was the only one who had an inkling that I’d be there. I stayed for a couple of hours and then headed back to Anaheim in a gnarly rain storm. By that time, everyone had left the park and headed back to the Hearthstone Lounge. (I got back just in time!) From there we went to Steakhouse 55 for dinner, followed by more time by the outdoor fire pit.


Desserts by Disney



Got up Sunday morning and went to Storyteller’s for brunch. Went into DCA to ride Soarin’ Over California and then to ride Screamin’ with my pal Drea.




Then it was time to catch a plane back home.  :-(
Busy, full, FUN weekend. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment